20070524

Starting "Starting Strength"

After plenty of thinking about it, I've finally started doing the Rippetoe/Kilgore Starting Strength lifting regimen. KW and Dammit follow it, as do many other CrossFitters, so I thought I should get started on it as well, as I've become addicted to seeing my CrossFit Total numbers increase (I'm currently at 440--160# squat, 80# press, 200# deadlift, i.e., "intermediate" for my gender and weight class), and I know I can't expect to keep making real gains if I don't put in some extra effort. Once you've passed that beginner's stage of big strength gains, any further gains become smaller and more hard-won. So time to start doing the hard work to make that happen.

So here's what I did yesterday, my first official day on the plan:

Squat
Warm-up sets:
45 x 5
65 x 5
95 x 5
Work sets:
115 x 5
115 x 5
115 x 5

Press
Warm-up sets:
45 x 5
55 x 5
Work sets:
60 x 5
60 x 5
60 x 5

Deadlift
Warm-up sets:
95 x 5
135 x 5
Work set:
155 x 5

Have to say it felt good, but I also know that this is the "easy" part, starting with a solid foundation of weight that I know I can lift. But each session I'll have to be increasing what I'm lifting in a linear fashion (no periodization) and I am not afraid to admit that the thought of that intimidates me. The trick is to not psych myself out. The other trick is to balance this training along side more met-connish WODs and my marathon training and not overdo everything and get sick/run down in the process.

4 comments:

Christine Petty said...

Starting Strength is one of the best lifting books I've ever come across. It's simply written, but at the same time full of information. I love the way everything is presented

ec said...

allison! found your page by way to xf nyc comments.

check out: http://www.performancemenu.com/index.php

today's front page is about wrapping your hands. thought about your wrist when i saw it - maybe its stuff you already know... but get those wraps for FC! hope it heals soon!

Jen said...

Great blog! Can't wait to get home from work and read some more!
Jen
www.jensgym.blogspot.com

Mark said...

Coach Rip is a terrific coach and his books have been a huge help to me in my workouts. He gave me a 2 week routine that helped me through a groin injury (both sides) and it involved the exercise that triggered it in the first place. It worked like he said it would.